Your little one’s initial visit to us is a great opportunity to set the stage for what we hope will be a long partnership for happy, healthy smiles. This visit gives us a chance to help them understand a bit about what it means to come to the dentist, but in a manner that is both fun and engaging. After decades of successfully nurturing thousands of healthy little smiles, we know that kids who are engaged in their own oral health care are more likely to keep their smiles healthy throughout adulthood.
The initial visit for children under 2 years of age:
For your baby, this initial visit will focus on searching for any issues evident in their oral development which may need to be addressed, as well as serving as the foundation of your own education into the elements and habits which help avoid decay and promote good oral health. We’ll work with you to build daily routines and suggest best practices to help you manage the kind of special oral health needs your baby has, and will do all we can to ensure you feel like you really have a new partner and home for your little one’s oral health care.
In this initial visit, you’ll start with a hygienist who will:
- Clean and inspect your baby’s teeth and gums
- Share basic instructions on how you can effectively clean such an adorably tiny mouth
- Inform you as to dietary recommendations and the need for fluoride and other dental/oral care products
Then, you’ll meet with your pediatric dentist who will:
- Perform a close inspection of your little one’s teeth and gums to check for any initial signs of problems or decay
- Discuss with you any issues they find which may affect your baby’s oral health, and will answer any questions you may have in this area
At the end of this initial visit, we’ll discuss scheduling your next appointment and give you a infant dental health kit, which includes a specially-sized infant/toddler toothbrush, floss, and toothpaste.
The initial visit for children 3 years of age and older:
For this initial visit, our team will welcome you to the office and then begin to:
- Discuss your little one’s medical history and your home oral habits to see if there are any risks or opportunities to act on
- Perform a basic introduction to dental cleaning–the tools and processes–to help them get acquainted and promote comfort with oral examinations
- Talk about the process of taking X-rays, then taking any which are necessary
- Have a discussion about oral health/cavity prevention, dietary considerations, injury avoidance, and expected dental development stages.
After you check-in and initial cleaning, you’ll be joined by your pediatric dentist who will perform a thorough examination of you little one’s mouth/teeth/gums. After discussing the findings with you, we’ll discuss scheduling your next appointment and give you a child dental kit, which includes a child-sized toothbrush, floss, and toothpaste.